The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation announced the projected closing dates for the 2020 navigation season.
Mariners are reminded that there is always a possibility that unanticipated conditions may occur during the closing period. Should this happen, there is a chance that the dates outlined below, for the Montreal-Lake Ontario Section or the Welland Canal, may change.
Montreal-Lake Ontario Section
• The Corporations have decided to waive the operational surcharges on December 21, 22, 23 and 24.
• Any transit of the Montreal-Lake Ontario Section of the Seaway after 23:59 hours, December 24, if permitted, will be subject to prior written agreement. Arrangements are to be made at the St. Lambert office.
• Irrespective of operating conditions, all vessels must be clear of the Montreal-Lake Ontario Section at 12:00 hours (noon) on December 31, 2020.
• Any transits of the Welland Canal after 23:59 hours, December 26, if permitted, will be subject to prior written agreement. Arrangements are to be made at the St. Catharines office.
• As part of a season pilot program this navigation season, all vessels must be clear of the Welland Canal at 12:00 hours (noon), January 8, 2021, operating conditions permitting.
Sault Ste. Marie Locks and Canal (United States)
Closing of the Sault Ste. Marie Locks (U.S.A.) is currently scheduled for January 15, 2021. Please note the Notice to Navigation Interests released by the US Army Corps of Engineers for further information.
Source: St. Lawrence Seaway< Return