The CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) project is a governmental initiative that will transform the collection of duties and taxes for goods imported into Canada. Through CARM, the CBSA will modernize and streamline the process of importing commercial goods.
Your Axxess experts monitor closely the information published by the CBSA. Here are the newest developments in the implementation of the CARM project. You can also see the Questions and Answers section below
Learn more about the Features and benefits of the CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management initiative and how to get prepared
Check out this CBSA video clip about CARM
Question and answers: RELEASE 1: Spring 2021
CARM Client Portal
1. As an importer, how can I prepare for CARM versions 1 and 2:
- Configure your user account on the CARM customer portal
- Create your business account on the portal and delegate!
- Talk to your customs broker to get a bond.
For details, visit the CBSA website
2. What is the purpose of the CARM Client Portal?
The CARM Client Portal will provide trade chain partners with the ability to view information about their accounts, make payments, to view the status of their declarations. It is intended to replace paper and manual processes and to provide transparency to trade chain partners.
3. Will it be mandatory to create an account in the CARM Client Portal?
Yes, all clients that conduct commercial business with the CBSA will be required to create an account un the CARM client Portal.
4. How can I obtain a Business Number before Release 2 go-live?
You can obtain a business number through the Canada Revenue Agency
For more information see Canada Revenue Agency
5. How do I access the CARM client Portal?
Login information for the CARM Client Portal will be communicated at a later date, including detailed guidance on how to create your portal user account, how to link to your business account, and how to establish delegated access if required.
6. When will I have access to view my declarations data in the portal?
You will be able to view your declaration data upon the implementation of CARM release 2.
Delegation of authority
1. When will delegation of authority functionality be introduced?
Delegation of authority functionality will be introduced with Release 1 for importers and customs brokers.
2. Who should be assigned as the Business Account Manager for my business?
Business Account Managers should be an active operational user, and not necessarily the owner of the company. Furthermore, it is strongly encouraged to assigned multiple Business Account Managers.
3. Can I control the type of access and /or visibility that a user has to my CARM Client Portal business account?
You will be able to manage access to your portal account by assigning specific roles to users, with the additional ability to set visibility rules to control how much information a third-party service provider can see
RELEASE 2: Spring 2022
CARM Release 2 will introduce new billing cycles and alignment of payment due dates of importers in 2022. More details to come.
Source: CBSA (November 2020)< Return